Monday, March 25, 2013

The Plunge

This Blog has been difficult for me to pin down.  What do I say? What is my purpose?  I have countless notebooks full of my thoughts that I could easily share with you, but that's not why I started.  I started in an attempt to force myself to write.  I have been sadly lacking in that department.  Still, I write elsewhere, and (when the pen should tug on my fingers) I do not find myself reaching for the keyboard and blogger to satisfy my thoughts.  But there must be some purpose for this blog.  There must.

I found it.  It is perhaps selfish of me, but - as my Calculus teacher always says - my name's on the door.  Well, the bottom of the page in this case.  Speaking of, I don't know if I explained the way I sign it:  Y. M. Potter. Clearly my name is Will (which, by the way, does not in fact start with a Y).  I sign it this way because my sophomore English teacher, "Mrs." Fritz - she prefers just Fritz - told me that if I ever became a writer, my pen name should be "Young Master Potter" hence the Y. M.

Anyway, this blog is going to be about me.  Almost a biographical thing, but a little more introspective and contemplative than a mindless journal of events.  Because of certain events that happened recently in my life, momentous events, I decided that this blog can serve as an outlet for my goings on and my response to those goings on.

For starters - and why I titled this post "The Plunge - I am enrolling in Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee!!!!!!! It has been a seemingly endless period of waiting to make a final decision, but we finally did.  I truly feel God's call to music and sense His hand in my journey to college thus far.  I continue to pray that He would provide for this preparation for His will for my life.  At this point, we are waiting to hear back on my Songwriting portfolio to see if I was accepted to that program.  As an alternate choice, I would be majoring in what is called Audio Engineering.  This mixes two things that I really enjoy:  science and music.  I would be prepared to work in a recording studio as a producer or mix engineer (the people who actually run the sound booth).

Speaking of music! Our band, "The Galway Cannons" had the opportunity to play at a show in Greenville, PA this past Saturday.  There is a local coffee house there that is doing mission work in downtown Greenville.  They invited us to play through a connection with a different English teacher who plays in a band of all teachers.  It was a wonderful opportunity to share our talents with a new crowd.  Playing music for people is such a joy!  If you were unaware, we recorded a full length, original album this past summer and it is released on iTunes (you can listen to our music on our Facebook page before committing to us I believe).  I will be putting up mp3s of at least the songs that I wrote on my google site:

https://sites.google.com/site/drswillpotter/songwriting-projects

This site also has some new songs that I recorded on my own.  In addition, my Digital Studio Recording class learned how to embed audio right into the webpage, so you don't even have to download the songs!  I did a lot of renovation on the site, so check it out!!

That's about it for now.  If anything monumental happens, I'll keep you posted.

Y. M. Potter

2 comments:

  1. HOORAY!! We made a decision - BELMONT it is!! So proud of you. . .And LOVED the concert Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay congrats on pickinga college Will! That sounds like something that would really be right up your alley. I pray that God will continue to lead you through this next life adventure!

    ReplyDelete